Wednesday, December 5, 2012

New beginnings

Sooo, I changed host families two weeks ago! My old host family was having some family problems, and we honestly didn't click very well, so I think this my be better! I have 2 host sisters! (One is in the University and not at home) and the other is 17! I share a room with her. I also have two parents, and 5 big dogs! I LOVE THEM. Except for the one that constantly barks. I don't really like him.
We live a 10 minute drive from the center of Messina, so not nearly as close as I was before, but we live in a house instead of an apartment! (Which I prefer)
There is also an INCREDIBLE view here of Messina and the Port, and also of the mountain-side, which I will post pictures of tomorrow.
For the past week my school has been having occupazione (like occupy) where the students protest their dislikes about the school and stay at the school and don't let the teachers in the gate. It's a little extreme if you ask me. But, since occupazione is very illegal, and I, being a foreigner, cannot attend (unless I want to get sent home to America) which I don't really want to do right at this moment. So for me, it's a nice break!
As for social standards, I haven't had a sleepover since I've been here (it's not common in Italy) and I've been craving one so SO bad. Other than that, I get along well with my classmates, and we sometimes go out together, but there really isn't much to do in Messina besides go shopping and eat. But hey, that's cool with me.
I really wish I was making deeper relationships though, it's so hard because of the fact that I'm not very skilled at the language yet. It's like trying to become good friends with people you can only speak simple things with.
But I'm working on it.
On the brightside, Christmas is coming! (Which isn't all that great, as it brings all exchange students extreme homesickness) but I LOVE the holidays. Baking, making paper snowflakes (which I did this morning and now have a string of snowflakes above my bed) making presents, decorating he Christmas tree, and watching Christmas movies! This will be my first year that I don't go to my grandmas house for Christmas Day to spend with all of my family. But I don't feel sad, I just feel.. Weird. Like a part of me still is home, celebrating with them, but.. I'm not. I'm 8,000 miles from all of them. I tell ya... Exchange students need bipolar medication for all the waves of emotions we go through.

As for happiness, I'm beginning to find my way. Though constantly feeling stressed about weight gain, my online classes, making friends, learning the language, becoming close to my host family, I am learning to just relax. I'm learning to not get myself so stressed and just focus on one thing at a time.
I'm learning.
That was the whole point of coming here, wasn't it?
To learn, grow, mature, make friendships, become bilingual, and most of all HAVE FUN? Yes. It is indeed. But I guess I didn't really realize how many hardships I would have to go through to gain that maturity. Being far away from everyone you love for a long period of time does something to you.. I don't really know how to put it in words quite yet. It somewhat gives you a sense of true meaning. Why we do what we do, and why we act the ways we do.
I'm so bad at organizing my posts, I just get so into it.. Haha.
I am just trying to explain how I'm feeling, what I'm experiencing.
I feel on my way to content ness.. But I know Christmas is going to be really, really hard. But I'm SO looking forward to after Christmas (always the most fun of exchange) and the rest of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment