Monday, September 10, 2012

My first night in Italy!

After grabbing my luggage from checking, I nervously headed to the exit doors, which seemed to be the scariest moment of my life.
I walked out, seeing many signs, and was hoping I would get one.
I looked all over, and finally heard someone saying my name. I felt a wave of relief and nervousness.
They came to greet me with kisses and hugs, and I was excited, but extremely overwhelmed. There were pictures taken and lots of hugging and lots of "Ciao Claire!"'s. It was very exciting!
I met my host family and we had a group picture of the AFSers and the 3 other students staying in Messina also!
Then we headed to the car and had an hour long drive to Messina from the airport.
We finally made it to the house, which is an apartment right in the city. They showed me the house and my room and everything.
Then Fernanda (my younger host sister) showed me some of Messina, and it was so so cute!
She showed me the Cathedral and it was beautiful! Very tall ceilings and many beautiful sculptures and paintings. We then headed back to the house after finding my host parents at a different church we looked at.
Then we had about a half hour till dinner.
We ate a special type of chicken with a very delicious sauce! We also had tomato and basil "salad". I then have them their gifts, which were tee-shirts for my siblings, that said "Gig Harbor, Washington" and had a heart on it that was the American flag. I gave the parents a Gig Harbor calendar and a book on the Puget Sound. They were very happy with them!
Afterwards I got ready for bed and read a little bit.
It was a very good first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment